Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Books

I really like books. I'm one of those people who impulse-buy paperbacks, and over the years I've filled up a big shelf of books, most paperbacks, other ones I've gotten second-hand (my local library sometimes have sales of old books, four books 1 Euro usually).

From the internet you can find lots of tips, or reminders, of what to read. From bleedingisaac I've been really inspired to read more philosphy (Camus in particular, though I haven't taken it up yet); from xiaxue I've become interested in reading 1984.

Some years ago, while I was in my activist youth, I started reading the book No Logo by Naomi Klein. It was really interesting, but as it was a library book that needed to be returned I bought the paperback. I never continued reading it for some reason, until I stumbled across a mention of it at terry lin's blogger. That got me inspired to read it to the end, which I'm in the process of doing now.

Recently a mini-series based on Dostojevskij's Crime and Punishment was on TV. Naturally I missed it, but reading the description in the TV guide got me interested in the story. Luckily my sister happened to have a hardcover copy of it (I would probably never had made it within my library's time restriction considering the size of the thing), so I've got it borrowed from her. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it during the summer...

2 comments:

bleedingisaac said...

Jacke,

Those are all great books (although, I too, put Klein's book down after the first few chapters; I think I got the point, though). 1984 is the best of the books in that genre which I would say includes Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, and the Giver (which they are finally making a movie of!). Crime and Punishment is a great read, but his The Brothers Karamosov is even better.

I really love books. I even get excited when other people are reading good books! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

If you're interested, I've got more titles when you're done. ;)

Jacke said...

I'd love to hear more recommendations! But I'd better wait 'til I've got a couple cleared from the "reading queue" (which I should be able to do this summer)...