Wednesday, September 07, 2005

America(n politics)

I don't usually discuss politics, mostly because I just don't like it. Politics is for the most part just boring bureaucracy, completely uninteresting to me. But it's also a subject that can get really serious really fast, with people getting upset as soon as you speak any sort of opposing viewpoint. As I said, I don't like politics, but recent events across the pond in the USA has me scratching my head at what is really going on there.

While surfing the web it seems as if I've come across more and more blogs by Republicans or Conservatists. (Before I go any further I would like to clarify that I don't know politics, I'm not in the loop with the party system in the US, I don't even live there.) Let's take one I came across just now, called Forward-ho. In the post I linked to he basically tears apart any opposition, saying the Democrats have sunk into "dog poop".

It's like there would be this eternal grudge between these two parties, and the Bush administration has just served to bring them further apart from each other. Was it always like this? I didn't really pay much attention to American politics before (this) Bush, but it seemed to me that Clinton did alright except for those "extracurricular activities" he was into.

And then we have a whole group of "patriots". In America everybody is a patriot... Here's a confession: I'm really tired of hearing the word "patriot" or "patriotism". In a way it's quite telling of what USA is really about; the "us against them" mentality that seems to be ingrained in all but the most open-minded over there. It's like it's all about which team you're on in the US. Democrat or Republican? Cleveland Indians or NY Yankees? "Either you're with us or with them." Make your choice.

It might sound shocking for some, but I wouldn't call myself a patriot. I have no specific "love" for my country; I'm fond of it, yes, it's the place where I grew up and all that, but if I was given the ultimatum of going half way around the world to fight whoever the government had designated as the enemy or leaving the country to avoid the draft, that wouldn't be a hard choice for me.

I value humanity as a whole more than any nationality. Or at least that's what I want to strive for.

Sounds a bit sappy now that I read through it, but what the heck.

2 comments:

Ainu said...

Erm... You are so sophisticated!!

Max Breaker said...

Unlike a lot of places, the choice of whether you are a Republican or Democrat seems to be hereditary!

Here in Australia, I wouldn't say that many of us are pushed into voting for any party.. moreso we are just encouraged to learn about it and decide for ourselves.

But in America, if your parents are Republicans, then you are Republican. It's really weird. Plus, in American politics, parties are allowed to receive massive, massive donations from people all over the place (they need it to get media coverage, to go on a campaign trail etc..) so that just further emphasises the 'team rivalry'.

It's a bit weird, but it is still called 'democracy' because both 'teams' have access to the same avenues of public persuasion.