Sunday, October 09, 2005

Strange things on my mind

Sometimes I can come to some really strange conclusions/ideas. Usually afterwards I can't remember what line of thought it was that got me there.

Just now when I was sitting on the toilet, I started thinking of one time when the water pressure was so low that the toilet couldn't itself get water for flushing, so we had to go to the tap in the basement (where there was a little water pressure) and manually fill it. From that I started thinking of the old outside toilets ("outhouse" is the word I get with this) before there was running water and flushing the bowl. We actually have one of those on the yard next to a spot that previously used to be a wastepile, though understandably it's not being used any more. I remember once when a sunflower seed got into that pile of waste and it got really big. I thought that it was probably due to all the spillings there that it got all the nourishment and got so big... Then I started thinking that dead bodies also contain a lot of nourishment for plants and stuff.

And so I came to the conclusion that maybe that's where the custom of putting flowers on graves come from. That it wasn't done from the start, but people noticed that everything, including flowers, grew better on the spot where someone was buried, and everybody just started copying nature, putting flowers themselves on graves. Maybe Wikipedia has something on that...

2 comments:

D-M.A. said...

Hmm... freaky thoughts, though it sounds kinda logical...

Jacke said...

It does, doesn't it?

I also had this thought that maybe in the old days, flowers growing on graves was a sign of whether that person had lived a good/righteous life or not.