Saturday, November 05, 2005

Yet another reason to get a DS

And it's called DS Rakuhiki Jiten (kanji: 楽引辞典). Means something like "easy to bring along dictionary" I would guess. Let me quote the info from Play-Asia.
An easy-to-use dictionary that includes English-Japanese dictionaries. Words can be entered by drawing, selecting from the 50 Japanese sounds, or in roman alphabet. Also DS chat functionality can be used, for example, to discuss the pronunciation of a difficult kanji, or to have a language test. The software is a kind of "Electronic Dictionary".
Damn, that sounds like it could be really useful. 欲しいな〜 (Hoshii naa). Usually electronic dictionaries would go for about 10000 up to 40000 yen (ca. 100-400€), but this is available for just over 40€. (Yes, you need a Nintendo DS to use it, but I've been thinking about getting one anyway, so...)

I've pretty much decided to get one (a Nintendo DS), it's just the money issue that's stopping me...

10 comments:

Ainu said...

do nyou know what Nintendo means? I'd like to know that.

Ainu said...

Hmmm.. Interesting..

I just installed The Rosetta Stone and it says that that no language was found. I then put in the other CD you gave me and windows said that it can not open the files. Horr.. I'm not very good with computers. But one thing I succeeded in was the installation of Japanese IME (well, Eero helped me pretty much). When I opened my Microfoft Works writing program I suddenly typed hiragana! Wonderful! Though, I don't really know how to use the Japanese language bar. The site that guides through it isn't obviously for my kind of silly girls. But I still feel like I've managed to do something useful. Maybe next time I bring my laptop to school, you could teach me more. But I'm not surrendering yet... I will master this when I put my mind into it!!

Do you know from where I can get that line over o or u or...??

Ainu said...

Oh my English is so bad. Over the o or on top of the o, that's the question..

(Hamlet is my favorite Shakespeare play)

As my essay is about sumo (more correctly sumoo<---), that line is very important to me.

Jacke said...

After installing The Rosetta Stone, you should just insert the "TRS Japanese" CD and open the Rosetta Stone program. It should appear there in the language-list.

Re: the line over o, I don't know how to get the line, but you can also use the little hat-thingie ^. It should be easy to spot on the keyboard.

Re: Nintendo, don't know exactly what it means, but according to wikipedia "Ninten" roughly translates as "leave luck to heaven" or "in heaven's hands".

Ainu said...

Thanks for your advice!

But I don't want to use that hat-thingie. It ain't good.

Ainu said...

Now I learned how to use that IME-tool. What a revelation!! And I practised a bit with The Rosetta Stone. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Only the mystery of the o-line remains unsolved.

Jacke said...

Glad you got it working!

I tried searching for info on the line over vowels, but couldn't find anything. Maybe we have to ask Elomaa-先生...

Jonas said...

Hey, where would one go about finding one of those things anyway? Do they sell those around here? Not the DS thing but the Jap dictionary thingie...I find it hard to believe they'd have it at Prisma or something.

Jacke said...

If you mean the electronic dictionary for DS you can only get it by importing it. If you mean an electronic dictionary in general, I don't know, maybe Amazon.com... (but I'd rather have a DS)

Jonas said...

importing?!! That is too much trouble..I'll just make you one myself :p