Monday, December 26, 2005

List mania 2005: Music

Inspired by Sho, in no particular order, some of the albums that have piqued my interest this year.

Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
After the strange, though still OK, Geogaddi, I was a bit hesitant about this album. After reading that it was a return to form for BoC, I was less hesitant. It's a really nice album even though it only has one track that really stands out for me.

globe - globe2
As my favourite band, this was a certain buy. Another return, or perhaps rounding another corner; reaching a new level, perhaps. On this album globe moves away from the trance-oriented style of the last couple of albums and focus more on rock/pop.

Ketsumeishi - Ketsunopolis 4
I got slightly interested in Ketsumeishi after hearing an older song, "Natsu no omoide", but this, their most recent album, is also quite nice and hops into the list.

Orange Range - Natural
In a short time, I've become something of a fan of OR. Ever since hearing the catchy tune of "Ishin Denshin" I have been captivated by the simple, memorable melodies of their easily accessible hybrid songs (is it pop, rock, hip-hip or rap? A little of all). Their latest album continues on the same formula, and has me hooked.


There are also a couple of ones that were likeable, but not quite there:
Bennie K - Japana-rhythm
I liked their Synchronicity, but Japana-rhythm has just completely failed with capturing my interest. Perhaps it's that it's too similar to the previous one, just more of everything: more repetition of choruses, more handclaps... But nothing much that sounds 'new' to me.

m-flo - Beat Space Nine
Just like with Bennie K, I really liked their previous album Astromantic, but Beat Space Nine feels somehow lacking to me. Despite an appearance by Lisa on "Tripod Baby", where they do manage to re-capture the sound of the old m-flo (except for part of the song that sounds like it was just jammed in there), this album just doesn't pull me along in the same way as Astromantic.

No comments: