Thursday, February 02, 2006

Good evening

This was a really eventful evening! There was a thing about Japanese culture at the school (arranged by AIESEC) and it was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.

It started with our teacher doing a brief presentation of the Japanology education there (or at least he said it was going to be brief), and after that on to presentation of Jrock and Visual Kei. I'm not really interested in the VK scene, so that wasn't so interesting to me. I wished they would have also talked about some of the music that belongs in the Jpop category. For example, musical influences, big names of the past (Pizzicato 5, Pink Lady, Kome Kome Club), current popular bands (Orange Range being the big ones right now, then there's the collaboration fad that m-flo are a perfect example of), and then there's also the idol phenomenon to talk about (look up Okada Yukiko if you want something really interesting). I guess you have to focus on the extreme and unusual to pique people's interest, but I still think it's a bit misleading to just talk about such a small section... (If you want the really extreme you could also talk about the "noise" genre, which is pretty self-describing.) All in all, for the music and fashion talks, the speakers' own preferences really took the upper hand.

But the evening got more interesting. During the break I got to try my first pieces of sushi, which was quite an experience. I'm not really used to fish, but it was by no means a foul taste. I'd also like to try some other meals, like yakiniku, okonomiyaki, tenpura... After that a few brave volunteers, including me, tried their hands at origami, which was pretty tricky. It was only a few because the room couldn't hold any more. We made a flower from a napkin, a heart and something that approached the look of a frog.

After the break there was more talks, including one by a Japanese studying in Finland, in fact the only one studying in Vaasa. It wasn't that prepared, but entertaining nonetheless. To finish it off we watched an episode from a Japanese drama-series.

A very good evening, though it would have been fun to stay a bit longer...

あの人ともうちょっと話したいな、日本語を練習とか…

6 comments:

Ainu said...

"noise"

Ainu said...

I belong to a genre!! Haiiiiiii!! Always wanted. Eero's sleeping. I'm a net-addict. Can't sleep. Guess who is going to take her frog with her tomorrow!! Hop, and hop, and hop-hop

Ainu said...

Okada Yukiko
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Pläts.

No. So sad and horrible.

Jonas said...

“…Pink Lady, Kome Kome Club…”
That sounds like 80’s metal bands. I think I need to reevaluate my opinion about j-pop…especially considering that guitar guy with leather pants, tank top and a cowboy hat.

Jacke said...

"Guess who is going to take her frog with her tomorrow!! Hop, and hop, and hop-hop"

I couldn't get my frog to jump, it only skipped forward limply.

Jonas said...

I rammed a vibrator up my frog's ass. It jumped like a mofo !