Friday, February 17, 2006

I Spy

As Defined by John Schmor, PhD: Camp is Failed Seriousness.
-J.Y. Hash, Urban Dictionary: Camp
I have a thing for old spy-shows like The Saint, I Spy and my favourite The Man From U.N.C.L.E. I also like the old Bond-movies, but that's not really the same thing, that's more "serious" plots, while the stories in I Spy and especially The Man From U.N.C.L.E. can be incredibly ridiculous. But that's part of the charm of it, I think. It's a sort of childish disregard for logic and reason that's charming, funny and just plain stupid all at the same time! The incredibly badly made special effects just add to the experience.
For example, just in last night's episode of The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Illya Kuryakin (I love that name) was buried alive in concrete and miraculously survived, though no effort whatsoever was made to explain how he survived! And then later in the show he rode on a bomb dropped from a plane in a scene almost directly copied from Dr. Strangelove (another name I love), and then when he was done "defusing" it (it turned out to be just a stinkbomb rather than the atomic bomb everyone thought it was) he jumped off it to parachute down! How is it possible to jump off from a falling bomb?!

No comments: