Sunday, February 19, 2006

I'm such a noob

Reading this interview with Ken Lewis.
Q: In the mixing process, which instrument do you rough in first? Is there a particular order that seems to work for you?

A: The first thing i try to do is a very fast rough mix of the song. All faders down to start, and two full passes top to bottom to get EVERYTHING balanced and listenable (i've been doing this a while). then i might sit back and simply listen to the song many times just to catch a vibe. When i think i have the song internalized, i'll often go back to building the mix from scratch, usually drums first, then bass, guitars, etc..... At some point early, i'll bring in the vocal, and just keep it low so i remember its there, and so i remember to carve a nice big hole in the mix for it to live. Personally, i like to mix fast early on, I probably do 80% of my mixing in the first hour or two, and might spend another 8 hours tweeking, refining, trying special ideas, etc... but it will almost always sound like a song within 2 hours. it may not sound like a finished mix for ten hours.
And I have basically no idea what's being discussed half the time. That I would call myself a producer is an insult to every real producer out there. I imagine this is the feeling that a goldfish gets when it's dumped in the ocean after being in an aquarium all of its life.

I should just go back to the sandbox and let the big boys handle the real work.

6 comments:

Jonas said...

Hey dude, you can't expect to be Tom Werman (producer of many 80's metal bands) after a month of making music. Your songs are getting better. Just have fun with it.

Ainu said...

It's good that you do something productive ;)

Jacke said...

Jonas said...
"Hey dude, you can't expect to be Tom Werman (producer of many 80's metal bands) after a month of making music."

But I wannaaaaa!!!

Ainu said...
"It's good that you do something productive ;)"

Though there is probably something more important that I should be working on ;P

Jonas said...

"...Though there is probably something more important that I should be working on ;P ..."

Like what? Are you referring to your edumacation? Who needs that? I have one and look where that has gotten me.

Ainu said...

By knowing what Jacob-san looks like I know that Jonas-san looks like Charlie Sheen..

Jonas said...

I look a lot like my brother...but a bit bigger...and with not as bushy eybrows..but that's because I tweeze mine (yes, I do that)... Anyway, I think it would be a lot cooler to say "man" instead of "san"...That way, I'd be Jonas-Man...sort of like a superhero.