Thursday, February 23, 2006

The White Album

The Beatles' The White album, that is.

I've been listening to it quite a lot lately, and it's just struck me how damn good it is. It's the kind of album that few artists manage to make, and then most times it's just one time during their career. Then I think that these are the same guys that also made Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, widely regarded to be one of the best rock albums ever, and I'm just amazed at the songwriting capability that they had. Especially the songs on The White Album sound instantly classic, though I guess that could be because I've heard them many times before, even before hearing the CD, like Back In The U.S.S.R. and Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. But the other songs that weren't so familiar to me also seem to have something basic about them, something wonderfully simple, as if they tapped into some stream that lies dormant in the human brain, with the melodies resonating in the minds of those who hear them. Something so new, but something familiar at the same time.

Now why can't I write songs like that?

***
In related news, I think I've almost got the chord progression down for Orange Range's Hana. (If you haven't heard it, check out the video at Youtube.) When I can play it I'll just need to learn the lyrics!

No comments: