Saturday, February 18, 2006

Why don't I go clubbing as often anymore?

You might not be able to tell just by looking at me, but I really enjoy(ed) the whole "going out drinking & dancing"-thing. I don't go out that often nowadays, but that's not because drinking and dancing has lost any of it's charms, in fact you could argue that I know myself better now and I can drink more responsibly, without going overboard. That I usually don't have any left-over money is a good excuse (spending most of it on Japanese imports), but another reason is that I've become really paranoid about my hearing. Lately my tinnitus seems to have become more prevalent, something that's probably caused by too much playing/mixing base-heavy tracks with headphones.

The whole tinnitus thing didn't even start in any cool way; not from clubbing, I've been out less than my brother and I don't think he has any, not from concerts or anything either. No, I'm pretty sure it started all because I had to drill a hole in a brick-wall and forgot about protecting my ears. (Though there weren't any ear-protectors either, by the time I came to think of it I was told to just stick toilet paper in my ears.) Lame way to start losing your hearing.

Looking at the Dictionary.com entry...
a sensation of noise (as a ringing or roaring) that is caused by a bodily condition (as a disturbance of the auditory nerve or wax in the ear) and can usually be heard only by the one affected
"[C]an usually be heard only by the one affected"? You mean it can sometimes be heard by others?!

Anyway, it's been suggested that I just use ear-plugs when going out clubbing, but I'd think it would feel weird. Maybe I'll try sometime and see how it is.

6 comments:

D-M.A. said...

Poor you :(
I have chronic back pains that sometimes prevent me from going out... like today, I was doing the laundry and suddenly, snap! Now I can barely move! Poor me too :/

I could pop in a few painkillers of course... but that would prevent me from drinking... sigh.

Jonas said...

You are both freakin' weirdos!.. But I still looove you guys!... only joking...relax dudes... Anyhoo, lots of folks have ear plugs at clubs.. don't know about the back pains though. You could probably prevent that by working out, strengthening your lower back and abs...

I actually thought I had tinnitus today. Turned out it was just noise from an ice race they had at the horse track or wherever.

Jacke said...

jonas said...
"But I still looove you guys!... only joking.."

So you don't love us? :(

:P

Ainu said...

I don't really like clubbing. Unless it is real empty at the clubs. And I can take the whole dancefloor. ;)

Jonas said...

I was joking about you being freakin' weirdos... but you are pretty strange..but hey, who isn't?

D-M.A. said...

It was a rather boring night out yesterday. In retrospect, maybe I should have stayed home, bah!