Sunday, May 07, 2006

D

So. Friday's history test was... endured. Strangely enough, there were only two of us there, even though there were supposed to be a couple of others.

I can't really make any sort of estimation regarding the result, seeing as last time around I felt relatively good about it and it turned out bad. However, while reading for the test this time, I noticed a couple of glaring mistakes I had made the last time: 1) giving the wrong years for the Sino-Japanese wars start and end, and 2) referring to Russia as the Soviet Union. The kind of mistakes you make when you've had a restless night followed by a couple of hours of last-minute cramming. My brother didn't think they were that serious mistakes, but from what I've heard about the examinator, I can really imagine that's why I was failed. (There goes the crazy theory I had that they're harsher with answers in Swedish.) It feels good to have at least an idea of the reason I failed; when I got the results for it the first time, there were no notes at all on it, just two marks to indicate which ones were bad and a "U" on the front (for "underkänt"). Being failed without being given a reason pissed me off, to say the least (and also gave birth to the previously mentioned crazy theory).

In any case, if I can squeeze through it will be a weight off my shoulders.

***
Having done the test, I sat down and watched Vampire Hunter D Friday evening, having found a torrent with the original Japanese soundtrack a couple of days earlier, but holding off on it until I'd had the test. As I've mentioned before, I'm not that big of an anime-fan, but this particular movie had music made by the one and only Tetsuya Komuro.The animation looked dated (understandable, since it's from 1985), but I was still managed to be drawn in by it.

***
Today, I also got a frame for my geisha-poster, courtesy of my sister. If you would like to see a picture, raise your hands and say "ooga-booga".

2 comments:

Jonas said...

Here is an interesting piece of information about Japanese history.

The war between Russia and Japan 1904-1905 laid the foundation for the tactics used in world war one a decade later. In that war, the use of trenches and volleys of small arms fire proved to be a successful tactic against advancing enemy troops. The field artillery also proved its importance.

In 1914, world war 1 broke out and the fields that once were fertile farming grounds were transformed into a hell on earth. Battles costing hundreds of thousands of soldiers’ lives at Somme, Verdun and other places were the root of the resentment towards Germany, which lead to the harsh terms of the Versailles treaty at the end of the war.

It is not an overstatement to say that the Versailles treaty was a cause for the most devastating conflict in human history with over 60 million people killed. Already during the war, resentment and mistrust between the Soviet Union and the other allied countries had been growing and it was this mindset which laid the groundwork for the cold war.

Fast forward to 1991, my brother celebrates his ninth birthday and doesn’t spend a moment of the day thinking about kanji or stroke orders. He is blissfully unaware that big things are taking place in the world. The fall of the Soviet Union is a reality and with it, the end of the cold war.

Everything is connected, one thing leads to another. If you trace events back in time you will find that something you thought didn’t have any relevance in your life (like turn of the century Japanese history) in fact has greatly influenced society today and as such also your own life. The big events of the 20th century, the nuclear bomb, the trenches, the cold war, the vietnam war, the war between the Soviet Union and insurgents in Afghanistan (in which some guy by the name of Bin Laden took part) all hark back to the war between Japan and Russia.

Ainu said...

*raises hands* - Ooga-booga!