Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Spring -> down

Spring is in full progress, birds tweeting and grass... growing. While spring is nice, in some ways it's pretty depressing: 1) all the couples come out going all ラブラブ, which makes me realize that I'm spending another spring on my own, and 2) thick jackets come off, and every time I'm walking around somewhere and see the reflection of myself (for example, in a shop window), it reminds me of my incredibly bad posture, and how I should exercise/work out more or something.

I felt that way about until I came home and was pointed to Steve Job’s 2005 Stanford Commencement Address (iTunes required to download video, you can also read the transcript) by Sho. That really picked me up. It put a bit of perspective on things hearing him talk about his brush with death and how we're all here for such a short time.

He also said something else that really struck a chord with me.
Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever.
-Steve Jobs, 2005 Stanford Commencement Address
I liked this part in particular, because I myself really don't have any solid plans for my life; I know it's not that responsible, and it's probably incredibly foolish to just trust blindly that it will somehow work out... But for some reason, that's just how it is. I don't think I'd be able to set out a plan stating "at year X I will be married, have Y amount of income and Z number of kids". I'll just have to go on and hope the dots connect down the line.

***
Feeling better, I finished a session-in-progress in the kanji flash-card application JFC.The method I use focuses on remembering the how to write the kanji, with me first trying to remember it just from the English meaning provided; if I don't know I allow myself a peek at the on/kun-readings. I'm hoping the readings will stick through study by proxy.

The main thing to remember is that you don't need to know 100% to pass the test, so if I remember how 70% the kanji are written, 70% on-readings and 70% kun-readings, I figure I should be alright.

5 comments:

Jonas said...

If you want to you can join the Jonartin-Era Party Crew…which is basically me and martin. That way you’re not alone. We are even toying with the idea of going to Åland ourselves this summer, just the two of us, since it looks like a trip with all the guys is a no-go (not that we have discussed it at any length).

Hey, you should listen to Ballad of Youth by Richie Sambora.

Your posture isn’t *that* bad. I’ve seen worse…a lot worse.
Anyway, if you want to hide it a bit I recommend you go out and buy some cool looking, nice fitting t-shirts. Especially now that summer is coming you could use some of those. I imagine you are still using those big white ones we have all over the place.

As far as excersising goes, I could give you some tips there if you want to. My number one tip, however, is: find a type of excersise you enjoy. The best excersise routine is not something from a fitness magazine or the new “in-thing”, but rather something you will stick to.

Ainu said...

You look fine!

Ainu said...

Have you read Eva's blog?
I mean: do the texts suggest that she is depressed.

One could maybe ask in a comment if the "thing" is real or not.

I phoned Anki (and Jyri). They come home on Monday. Joonatan thinks they might be interested in a study group. Joonatan himself thinks he is better off alone.

I don't have any more numbers to call..

Jacke said...

I've read some of it, it does seem like she has some problems...

My e-mail is jacob.aberg@gmail.com in case it's better to talk about it non-publically.

Jonas said...

Gawdamnit! I want to know where this eva person's blog is! I want to read it too.