Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Youth

Reading my brother's account of the behaviour of youth, I start thinking how different that is from what I did at that age. At 17, I was in my second year of upper secondary education, and had just gotten used to not being harassed on a daily basis. (In many ways, those years, 16-18, were some of the best educational years of my life.) I was, for all intents and purposes, a nerd growing up; frail physique, more interested in thought than action. I guess that also explains why I never had much success with girls; I went through an infinite number of scenarios of what I would do, but never actually did anything.

("Actually" is one of my favourite words.)

Anyway, while reading about the adventures of our cousin, I started wondering about what gangs there are in Vaasa, what sort of semi-criminal undercurrents flow through the town? I imagined that there would be an entire level of street-politics going on... but that's probably over-estimating the thug-wannabes.

***
I haven't made a new song to upload in ages now... I thought I'd make on in the middle of April, but alas. Perhaps after Friday's exam.

1 comment:

Jonas said...

Well, to be fair, it wasn’t so much of a gang as a “wannabe-gang”. They reportedly live in Smedsby and are between the age of 16-20 so street-wise they probably hold very little credibility. That is probably why they all s**t their pants when they were faced with a real hard ass psycho gang member that could actually inflict some serious damage and seemed likely to do so just for shits and giggles (or so I hear).

I suspect there are criminal elements in the form of gangs in Vasa but obviously not of the same caliber as in larger towns. Small towns really aren’t all that conducive to gang activity I think. It’s hard to hide, the law knows what is going on everywhere and there is probably very little “business wise”, ‘cause hey, even gang bangers have to eat right?