Sunday, June 11, 2006

Japanology year one

So I've now completed one year of Japanology. It feels pretty weird to think about it really. Thinking back on the year, I'd say it's been one of the best in my life. The amount I've learned it just incredible: roughly 500 kanji, lots of new grammar and a bigger vocabulary.

I started thinking one day that the Japanology-education here at FKF is a bit like the Hogwarts school of magic; they're both pretty obscure, both subjects are a bit outside the norm.

A strange thing that I found out during the year was that I actually found some joy in studying kanji once I found a method that suited me. I had prepared for the worst, imagining that it would be half-impossible... but I never thought that it would be completely impossible; there were others that had done it, so it had to be possible. The only question then was whether I was up for it. Apparently I was.

6 comments:

Jonas said...

"...I'd say it's been one of the best in my life. ..."

That's excellent. Keep up the good work. I'll take care of things on my end.

Ainu said...

One of the best?!

I'm flattered ;)

Ainu said...

Do you happen to know/remember any good Japanese newspapers in Internet?

Annikki said...

you poor babies are so young! :P

Ainu said...

Yes, I'm a stupid child.

But I got Eero to paint a picture of his mother and it is beautiful though Eero very much suspects it.

Jacke said...

"Do you happen to know/remember any good Japanese newspapers in Internet?"

Not any that I visit myself, I usually read Japanese blogs for practice... but you can try Mainichi shinbun or Asahi shinbun.