Thursday, July 06, 2006

Latest musical offering

Ourmedia seems to be having some problems, but the latest piece is available directly from Archive.org if you want to risk exposure to it. In a rave review by my brother it was called "repetitive".

In any case, I have some serious confidence issues when it comes to piano-playing in general, and composing in particular. I know I've just started, but when I find something I enjoy I just want to become really good really fast. (I also feel a bit of the same with Japanese, but not as much as the progress there is guided.)

I think one of the biggest problems I have is when it comes to filling out a track with other instruments and effects. Usually it ends up with just adding bass and some random synthesizer sounds, but I know that that's not enough. I can hear that it sounds 'empty', sort of, compared to commercial music, but I don't really know what to add...

Another problem that comes with adding more instruments to the mix is that you have to carve out a place for them using the EQ-settings. And I have no abilities when it comes to that, not to mention that I wouldn't be able to hear everything with the in-built speakers on the computer. I've gotten the impression that a good pair of monitor speakers go for about 500€ or so. Of course just about anything else would be an upgrade from the built-in ones.

And while we're on the subjects of wants, I would also want a keyboard (for future gigs, ha ha, like that would ever happen), since I don't have a laptop I can load up with Garageband to take everywhere, a golden car and a rocket horse.

***
I suck at chess, that's just the way it is. The only game of chess I remember winning was against my cousin who was probably half my age at the time. Back when I was ~11 there was some sort of tournament in school. I lost the only game I played, and that's probably the highlight of my chess-career. Today I tried again with the same result.

It reminded me of the end of WarGames.
[after playing out all possible outcomes for Global Thermonuclear War]
Joshua: Greetings, Professor Falken.
Stephen Falken: Hello, Joshua.
Joshua: A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

2 comments:

Jonas said...

Ever heard the old adage "less is more"? Does a track have to be filled with a bunch of instruments?

In my opinion, drums, bass, a melody (be it vocal line or instrumental) and maybe some sort of harmony which the melody works, is enough.


Anyway, in regards to ”Marching On” I didn’t listen all that carefully but the main problem as I saw it was that it was lacking dynamics. What I would have liked to hear was some sort of crescendo, a build up to something. I see it as a story where soldiers are marching off to a battle, engage in combat, survive and march on...towards future battles.

For example, you could take what you have and then at one point have a pause in the track...silence (the soldiers have reached the battle ground and are waiting in anticipation)...then some kind of eerie keyboard or a gust of wind...then you could go into double time (soldiers engage in battle) and try to imitate battle with music (as a reference you could use Jimmy Hendrix’s Woodstock version of the Star spangled Banner. Listen to what he does at the point where the lyrics should go ”...bombs bursting in air...”). You could even play the battle part in a different key...give it a more minor feel to it. Then go back to the original track for the ending (soldiers are marching on).

Remember the very last scene from Full Metal Jacket, where the squad marches on after killing that sniper? That is the kind of image I see.

Jacke said...

Those are some interesting ideas. Perhaps if I come around to polish it they will be included...