Thursday, August 10, 2006

Birthday blues

Today was my birthday. It is now twenty-four years since I was born. And I'm feeling blue.

Just for the usual reasons really, no money, no job, no education, no plan, spending my life as a parasite.

You might think that I could somehow take advantage of my language skills to get a job, but the sad fact is that knowing 3+ languages isn't very unusual here. If I was in Japan I might get a job at one of the numerous eikaiwa schools. Though I would probably be a very boring teacher; I'd just find out as much as possible about the most effective ways to teach English pronunciation, the placement of the tongue, etc.

For the record, I think it's a bit silly that the words "pronunciation" and "pronounce" aren't spelled more consistently. I always want to put a "u" in "pronunciation".

I think the worst part is that I've become so entrenched in the way of life here. I feel like I'm so invested in my little hole here that I'd panic if I would be forced out. I probably would panic. I'm so unsure of myself that I don't know whether to laugh or cry. (No, wait, it's the latter.)

On second thought, the worst part is that I keep making excuses for myself; I keep procrastinating over everything, thinking "well, I can live here another year", pushing things of, then thinking "well, it's too late to look for a summer-job now, maybe next year".

***
I cut some of the hair that was hanging over my ears. That's a bad sign, isn't it? Cutting your own hair...

Oh, and if you've got a high-paying, low-effort job for someone without education or prior work-experience, give us a ring, will ya? (Though no heavy-lifting jobs since I'm a shrimp. Cheers!)

1 comment:

D-M.A. said...

Well... I know of a job where you have to do extremely hard labour for average pay, and smell like piss and shit all day... mine.