Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A slight threshold

I'm in a particularly foul mood.

This mood comes mainly from having so little money.

Found a good pair of speakers and thought that was it, but no. Need a new sound-card. Then I find out that the quality of the sound-card I was looking to buy isn't really that good, the nearest in features being more than twice as expensive.

So the choices would then be taking a chance with possibly low-quality hardware, or waiting even longer, dropping more money into this, which now seems to have evolved into a thing. Which bullet to bite?

Part of me wishes that I could just drop this weird idea of making music. But believe it or not, it is quite fun.

Edit: I now realize that it was gear blindness. Symptoms include obsessively checking hardware specs and prices on webstores. I have decided to lay back and see what the funds build up to.

5 comments:

Jonas said...

Aah, you are suffering from what is commonly referred to as GAS ( Gear Acquisition Syndrome ). Basically it is the quest for the ultimate gear and thereby the ultimate sound. Very common in guitar player circles but apparently it can affect/infect others as well.

However, one must also consider the fact that the best gear in the world doesn’t make a difference if the song is crap… but I suppose you will be better able to hear that it’s crap. Not saying that your songs are crap (that last one was excellent). What I’m getting at is that *maybe* you are best of concentrating on improving your composing skills rather than throwing buckets of money at something that will still be there after you’ve upgraded (‘cause there is no piece of ultimate gear GAS will always be there).

My friend Nigel on the FIB said it best in a recent thread; “…the key is to make the best of what you have, to be able to work around the limitations of your gear”.

Jacke said...

I am familiar with the GAS-concept and I do believe they are different, though similar.

"What I’m getting at is that *maybe* you are best of concentrating on improving your composing skills rather than throwing buckets of money at something that will still be there after you’ve upgraded"

I'm not sure what you're going for here. Usually you "upgrade" your gear, but I guess you mean your skills in this context? The point is to get the best gear for the funds you have at your disposal, without going completely bottom-line.

Whichever, the current plan is to "wait and see", which is always a good stance (unless you're in a situation that requires quick action).

Jonas said...

What I meant was that the GAS will still be there after you've bought new gear 'cause there'll always be more stuff to get.

Jacke said...

So, what you're saying is that it doesn't really matter what I buy since there will always be better gear just out of my reach that I will yearn for?

Sounds like an endorsement for the cheaper box to me :D

Jonas said...

Pretty much yeah...No actually, what I’m saying is: don’t get caught up too much in the gear discussions, thinking that you *need* thousands of euros worth of gear when you can get by just fine and dandy with a lot less.