Sunday, September 03, 2006

Art

I was looking in awe today at some stuff by British graffiti artist Banksy when my brother asked me if I had thought about becoming a painter. Well, no, I haven't.

The main problem as I see it is that I don't feel I have anything of such importance to say. Or maybe that I'm too comfortable, living in my little shell, not letting anything in, not letting anything out. (I guess being bad at drawing also has something to do with it; I couldn't draw even a roundish circle even if my life depended on it.)

Anyway, I came across Banksy seeing a headline in my BBC news-feed about him "remixing" Paris Hilton's CD. Now that's something I'd like to hear! (Anyone got a torrent, btw?)

Back to my artistic inabilities, now: it seems to me as if the greatest creators often are deeply disturbed, insane, alcoholic, or bearing whatever deamons they have. I went through a couple of really rough years way back when, but I've been slowly recovering form that since after the age of 16 now and starting to feel alright (a couple of lapses into depression, but nothing serious). I think a couple of years out in the real world, making it on my own, would probably give me some hardship to think about. But sadly, man strives for comfort. And it's always difficult to give up a comfort you have ('net access, TV, CD, DVD).

Furthermore, I think that in this stage I'm more concerned with social acceptance, which is probably one of the underlying reasons as to why I'm so obsessed/envious of pop-tunes (that they are japanese pop-tunes at the moment is irrelevant, I think).
Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Fame is a by-product of doing something else. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a shit.
-Banksy, in Wall and Piece
I just realised that the title of that book is a reference to War and Peace. Clever.Continuing on the suffering artist theme, I've been listening to Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill (only 10 years after everyone else! w00t!).
In New York City, Morissette landed a spot on Star Search, a popular American talent competition. She used her stage name, Alanis Nadine. Morissette flew to Los Angeles to appear on the show, but lost after one round.

It is known that during that time Morissette [...] suffered from anorexia and bulimia nervosa, catalysed by professional pressure and manager demandings.
-Wikipedia, Alanis Morissette

No comments: