Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Movies

It's not often that I actually watch movies nowadays, but the last couple of days has seen me taking the time to watch a couple.

On Saturday I watched The Warrior and the Empress by Tom Tykwer. I had previously seen his Run Lola Run and after seeing a documentary about him I wanted to see something more. Quite a different film from Run Lola, but very enjoyable nonetheless. Later that evening I watched Rules of Attraction, which went between "quite fascinating" and "waste of time". It was hard to know what to make of it. (I watched it mainly because I knew that one of the characters was the brother of Patrick Bateman, the main character from American Psycho, which I though was quite good.) While it had some funny scenes in it, it sure wasn't a straight-up comedy, it was all presented in a far too dark tone for that. I guess it was hard to make up my mind since it dealt the cards so honestly, but so differently from how films usually do it. For one, it was edited in a way that put the ending first, sort of how Fight Club did, but the difference being that there was no more turning points after that. And the unsuspecting movie-goer, always expecting a happy ending, left with no resolve or closure.

Sunday I half-watched Freaky Friday, dropping away for only the most cringe-worthy scenes. At first I thought it was just a common Lohan-vehicle, but I was pleasantly surprised.

This evening I watched Run Lola Run again after having "acquired" a DVD-quality copy. I could have watched it tomorrow instead when it's on TV from SVT2, but seeing as it was completed already and I had nothing better to do...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that Lohan-flick as well. Boy did that suck donkey balls! The story was so obvious it was probably predicted by Nostradamus. Lohan wasn’t even hot in it! And who the f**k wouldn’t notice that someone is faking a guitar solo?!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the Kongs thought about watching it also, but we changed the channel
after maybe 2 minutes because it sucked so much.

Eurosport´s fight night was more interesting.

Anonymous said...

Fight night kicks ass! ... literally!

Jacke said...

So I was the only one who thought it was pretty good? I mean, it wasn't great, but it was far better than I expected.

Jonas said...

It was way too predictable and the jokes were standard at best.
You probably watch too many art films ;)