Thursday, August 16, 2007

Abilities

As a result of aging, people always feel like they somehow know more than everyone younger than them, through experience or simply the privilegie of having spent more time on earth, no matter if those years were lived completely differently to how people live now. I am no exception to that, but I would like to think that I have at least some distance to my own mind, and I therefore realise that this is not the ultimate truth. It is now 25 years that I've lived on this earth, and I have indeed formed some thoughts on life, the universe, and everything. I will try to write these up, as I can get them formulated in a way that don't seem like the work of a schizophrenic.

Abilities.

Humans and chimps share about 98% of their DNA. Isn't that interesting? Those remeining 2% of the DNA constitutes all of what is different between man and chimps. Now think about how little the difference must then be between humans. We all carry the same components in us, the same building-blocks. The same "hardware", so to speak. Counting out any severe developmental oddities, we are all born with the same prerequisites. What makes humans differ from each other is largely the upbringing, and how they use the "hardware" that they're given. So if we're all equipped with practically identical "hardware", we should all be able to load the same "software" (if we'll continue with the computer-metaphor). This is why I don't believe in that you need any inherent "gift" to do anything that some might think is out of the ordinary: like playing an instrument, composing a song, or learning a foreign language.

This means, of course, that every time I fail at something, it feels like I'm incredibly stupid; but on the flip-side, I have the power to change.

This is why I also don't believe in "racial superiority" and similar garbage.

No comments: