Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Go-to gear

I'm quickly getting a feel of what gear I like and what I will reach to first when going out shooting.

I got a message (on short notice) from our conversation teacher who asked if I could come take some pictures of their volunteering for the Red Cross in favour of the Tsunami-victims in Japan. Didn't want to bring too much, figured no more than two lenses. I didn't even make a conscious choice about the body, went straight for the 40D, which meant the Sigma 17-50 that I use as standard on it. As second lens I chose the 85mm f/1.8. Now I have a real tele-zoom in the 55-250 EF-S, and it's not like I needed the extra light of the 85mm, so why not go with the longer zoom?

It boils down to the fact that I just really like the 85mm more, despite the limits of the fixed focal length. It's long enough that you can get some distance from the subject, so you can get more candid shots, but the form factor of it is still small. It's the same size as the 18-55 kit lens, as opposed to the long, thin 55-250 that protrudes noticably. It also has USM AF, which is a dreamily fast on the 40D. To me, it's a real performer of a lens.

2 comments:

Ray G said...

Good to know Thanks. I'a a old dip & dunk film man. Trying to gain confidence in the digital photo field

Ray G said...

U should add a follow button so we can add u to our list of followers & followees.