Saturday, May 07, 2011

Hunting for primes

It feels like ever since getting starting with photography I've been on the search for the one prime to rule them all. In my heart I know it's the 35L f/1.4, but that is a bit over my budget at the moment, but that is the focal length I am after: a ~50mm equivalent.

The Canon offerings are at 28-35mm, but it seems like I have some issues with almost all of them. The lowest in price, the 35mm f/2.0, seems good in image quality, not much slower than the "prime-standard" f/1.8, but the lack of USM bothers me. After having experienced it on the 85mm f/1.8, I don't want to go back!

The 28mm f/1.8 is one of the top two contenders. It has USM, slightly wider than 50mm equivalent (which is fine), but from what I've read it has some image quality issues.

Then there's the one pretty much made for the purpose, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. This has all the aspects I want: almost exactly 50mm equivalent, the Sigma version of the ultrasonic focus motor, HSM, and a very good maximum aperture. There are two things that stops me from getting it right away. First is the focus issues I keep hearing about. Knowing that my 1000D had issues with my Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, it feels like probability is high that it would have issues with the 30mm too. Second is that it's made for crop-sensors. This isn't that important, but I sort of want to move away from crop lenses in case I want to go full frame in the future.

What I'm hoping for are some updated primes from Canon to decide the issue.

No comments: