Saturday, May 21, 2016

Creation

Creation is never an easy thing. Especially if you spend time or follow the activities of other creative people, it's too easy to fall into the comparison-trap, where you start looking at the results from people you see as more creative or more active than you are.

Lately I feel like I have been in a creative slump, where I have produced nearly nothing of any real weight. There is a creative exhibition coming up next week and all I could offer were images that I took long ago. (Well, one of them was at least taken this year, so that's alright I guess.) As the saying goes, you're only as good as your last picture. It's way too easy to start thinking that you're at the bottom of the pile, the last in the race, because you only look at the ones at the top. Remember that for every person you are looking at thinking they are better than you, there could be a person looking at you, thinking the same thing.

So I started thinking about creation, and what advice I would give to others just starting out. My first advice would be to realize you are one day going to die. You don't know where, you don't know when, and when that day comes, what you have made is all that remains of you in the world.

Step two:

No comments: